[Simh] How to detect telnet disconnection.

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Jun 21 14:34:57 EDT 2015

On 2015-06-21 02:48, Harry Reed wrote:
> All,
>
> We am currently in the process of implementing a simh based emulator for
> the Multics CPU (https://sourceforge.net/projects/dps8m/). We've got it
> set up so we can telnet into the OS using the SIMH "Telnet terminal
> multiplexer library," but are having problems when connections are lost
> not freeing up lines, etc. I need to be able to detect when a telnet
> connection is dropped, not closed normally.

Why do you care if it is "dropped" as opposed to "closed"? From a telnet
point of view, there is no difference.

And from a simulated computers point of view, the terminal is
disconnected. You just a way to translate such closed telnet session
into a disconnected terminal.

> Any thoughts on how to detect a dropped telnet connection?

In the telnet (or TCP/IP) works, there is no such thing as a "dropped"
connection. It is closed, for one reason or another. And that is it.

Or could you be more specific what you are looking for?

	Johnny