[Simh] HP 2100/1000 A-series

Ken Cornetet Ken.Cornetet at kimballelectronics.com
Wed Jun 17 11:44:57 EDT 2015

As far as peripherals, the A series used HP-IB (HP's version of IEEE 488) interface for interfacing with most devices including printers, plotters, tape drives and disks. These devices were referred to as "Amigo" and "CS-80" (command-set 80 - I have no idea what the 80 stood for). I *think* Amigo was an older spec perhaps for disk drives only, and CS-80 was a later general command set.

AFAIK, all of the HP-IB devices that were supported on the A series were also supported on the M/E/F series, so if someone does an A series emulator with HP-IB support, it would be beneficial port that code to the M/E/F emulator.

On the other hand, if someone does an A series emulator, the HP-IB devices are the least important. The more interesting devices were the SCSI interface, mux, and Ethernet. The only thing you'd really need HP-IB for would be a line printer.

As a side note, I seem to have stuck in the back of my mind that the HP specials division had an ARCnet board available for the M/E/F series. Does anyone know if this is true?