[Simh] OS development

Rhialto rhialto at falu.nl
Sun Jun 14 17:30:14 EDT 2015

On Sun 14 Jun 2015 at 14:27:12 +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> Either way, other systems decided to define the two year field as
> representing 1970 to 2069. Deal with it, or decide to be incompatible.

I noticed that in the RSX version of the On Disk Format, the year is
represented in what I've known as pig-hexadecimal. That is, the next
digit after 9 is ':', then ';', '<', etc. Basically, it's simply the
conversion of the tens of the year number by adding the ASCII value of
'0', without range check whether it is in the range [0-9].

> >As for the "New UTC (128 bit) format": that's probably documented
> >somewhere.  But I haven't found it.  Native VMS times are 64-bits. DTSS
> >uses an opaque 128-bit structure that may be the basis for this, but a
> >quick search hasn't turned up a revised DAP spec.  DTSS time includes
> >precision/accuracy, not just time.

Is that the format as returned by RSX GTIM$, i.e. 8 words which are in
sequence year since 1900, month, day, hour, minute, second, tick of
second, ticks per second? If I'm guessing, "New UTC (128 bit) format"
would be this and be expressed in UTC instead of some unspecified
timezone.

> It is more complicated. [...]
> (Or that is my understanding of the situation anyway.)

That sounds very much like nobody will even have proof they have
standing to sue anybody...

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'