[Simh] Tops (-10) development

Johnny Eriksson bygg at cafax.se
Fri Jun 12 10:23:35 EDT 2015

This is partially a status report and also hopefully answers some
questions people on this list (and in other places) have asked.

Some new questions will also be asked.

I have recently re-started the old project to resurrect my IP stack
for Tops-10.  This is at the moment done on a KLH-10, using the twonky
system from trailing-edge.  (No, I have not abandoned SIMH, it still
is used for the KS10).  One things I have noticed is that the files
stored on www.stacken.kth.se are quite old, seems that the most recent
versions were made available via tftp from an emulated KS that has not
been up for a number of years...

I will try to make the latest sources available somewhere.

I am currently in the process of setting up the system and getting all
the latest DEC sources from all over.  I have found tape images for
TSU[1-4], except for TSU3, tape 2.  Extrapolating from the other tapes
makes me guess that it should be named BB-JR93M-BB, does anyone have
that tape image?

I am also looking for the DECUS Europe symposium tape from 1983, I have
what I think is 97% of that on disk, sadly I am afraid that it was read
in such a way that bit 35 is missing...

Regarding copyright etc. for the stuff I have written, consider it BSD.
This includes new monitor modules and utilities, as well as extensions
to SIMH and stuff like the mother of most of the versions of backup.c
and backwr.c that are out there.

Command history:  from kicki there is a module cmdhis.mac, I am at the
moment trying to merge it into the 7.05 sources from twonky, with some
success, but the build from this morning tells me that the module needs
some lessons in extended addressing, to make it say something a little
bit more interesting than IME when talking to scnser.

Some people have asked questions about AMIS and how to build new versions
of it, and what compiler to use etc.  If my fading memory is correct the
compiler used is the one from the DECUS tape mentioned above.  It should
however also exist in binary in the AMIS distribution.  I will check this
out further.

--Johnny