[Simh] Pontus asks Is [the] BSD [license] liberal enough?

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Mon Jun 8 09:31:42 EDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 03:18:50PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2015-06-08 13:36, Pontus Pihlgren wrote:
> >On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 01:24:39PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> >>
> >>Which is essentially anyone. Since, if you do release it, you cannot
> >>restrict who can use it.
> >
> >The point I'm trying to make is that B has no obligation to anyone but
> >C. If C starts to make the software available no-one can demand the
> >source from B. And certainly not from A.
>
> Not entirely correct. First of all, C can ask the sources from B,
> who then in turn will be required to request the sources from A. So
> C indirectly puts a request through to A anyway.

Of course.

> However, if C have the software from B, but wants the sources from
> A, C just gets the distribution from A, and then they can request
> the sources explicitly from A anyway. There is no way for A to
> prevent this.
> So yes, C can easily, and legally, force A to send the sources to them.

Nope, this is my example, and in my example there is no "distribution"
in the usual sense. Just that USB stick that A sent to B. If B made a
copy and sent to C, how would C obtain a "distribution" from A?

A little contrived, I know, but I still maintain that C has no claim
towards A.

/P