[Simh] PDP-12

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Fri Jun 5 21:54:10 EDT 2015

Al Kossow published a lot of new PDP-12 documents recently, so I think
there's enough to build a simulator. Now that SimH includes graphics
emulation, a PDP-12 emulator is practical, but it only makes sense if
software is available. Has anyone found the software systems for the
PDP-12? It will run OS/8 (probably), but I'm thinking of its "native"
software - DIAL and DEMO.

There's nothing on Bitsavers except for paper-tapes. pdp8.org claims to
have some Linctapes, but they have not been transcribed. pdp8.net is
down (gone?). Any other sources? Because of differences in encoding and
bit ordering, it may take a running PDP-12 to read a Linctape.

The PDP-12 would be easier to emulate than the Linc-8, because the 12
was one system that has two modes of operation, while the Linc-8 was
actually two separate systems. Neither was a great success, but SimH is
getting to the fringes of the DEC world, like the PDP-15/76, and not
many of those experiments were solid commercial successes.

/Bob Supnik