[Simh] DEC floppy disk interleave questions

Armistead, Jason BIS Jason.Armistead at otis.com
Thu Jul 16 13:02:32 EDT 2015

Dying RFxx disks might be due to failure of FLASH memory in the controllers (either onboard the CPU or external chips).  The charge in the memory cells in FLASH memory chips doesn't last forever, and slowly bleeds away.  Early devices could fail after 10 years.  Newer FLASH parts are better, but the lifetime is not infinite like it was with PROMs/EPROMs.

The folks at CMU and LSI Corp wrote a good article about this:

http://users.ece.cmu.edu/~omutlu/pub/flash-memory-data-retention_hpca15.pdf

And to Alan's floppy archiving plans - Just remember to regularly "refresh" your CD collection.  Those CD-R disks don't last forever either!  If it was me, I'd be creating at least two copies.

Cheers
Jason