[Simh] DEC floppy disk interleave questions

Hans-Ulrich Hölscher hoelscher-kirchbrak at freenet.de
Thu Jul 16 12:15:33 EDT 2015

>  > if you want to image your disks and floppies for use with simh,
>  > there's an easy way to do it.  All you need is a (Micro-)VAX
>  > having the appropriate drive(s) running VMS.
>  > MOUNT/FOREIGN
>  > COPY/LOG  yourimagename.img
>  > DISMOUNT
>  > Don't worry about the error message at the end of the COPY
> process
>  > - that's normal, just that copy discovers the end of media.
>  > You get an image containing all the blocks of your device in
>  > logical order - VMS will take care of the device details.
>
> That sounds like the really easy way to do it.   Does it copy
> track 0 of RX01/02 floppies?

Every bit that is readable normally from VMS, hiding only strange sector orders and bad block information.
Images from bootable devices are bootable within simh (as long as there's a suitable bootable simh device)

> I finally got a MicroVAX 3300 up and running again.   Most of
> my RF3x drives seem to have died while in storage.  Now I have
> to see if any of the RX02 drives will still work.

So are my RF3xs :-((
My DSSI-VAXen run on HSD coupled RZ disks in BA350 boxes now.

>  > Will you make your images available?
>
> Absolutely!   I'm still working on the 9-track tapes, after a
> several-week pause due to my Alpha XP1000 dying and me taking
> time out for a couple of all-weekend endurance races (24 Hours
> of LeMons -- the fruit, not the town in France).
>
> I plan to put all my DEC media images on CDs so I can easily
> make copies.   Each tape/floppy image will be accompanied by a
> text file with the label and other information, and a .JPG photo
> of the media and label.   I've done about 300 tapes so far, of
> which 82 are DEC.   I have another 300 or so to do.   I should
> be done in a couple of months.

I'm very keen on your software pool, many thanks for preserving it!

As you probably know I'm mainly after old VMS software (everything pre VMS V5)

Regards

Ulli

---
Alle Postfächer an einem Ort. Jetzt wechseln und E-Mail-Adresse mitnehmen! http://email.freenet.de/basic/Informationen