[Simh] Off topic: ULTRIX question

Alexander Schreiber als at thangorodrim.ch
Mon Jul 13 18:35:17 EDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 03:41:49PM -0400, David Holland wrote:
> Has Oracle changed its position with regards to patch availability for
> the freely available downloads of Solaris x86?
>
> Last I heard, patches were not available with out a support contract.
>
> ( Granted, HP is no better with its position towards VMS patches, but
> at least (last I checked) VMS wasn't terribly attractive option for
> the script kiddies. )
>
> Unfortunately, as far as I know, if you want a free (as in beer)
> patched Unix-alike, your choices are a Linux based distribution, or a
> Linux based distribution. Which is unfortunate.

Well, NetBSD _might_ smell a little funny, but it is certainly still alive ;-)
And it should support Alpha & VAX (worked fine, a few years ago, even on
simh/vax). A friend of mine is still actively working on netbsd/vax.

If the less wide platform support isn't a problem, FreeBSD might be worth
a look too. Besides Intel, it runs on sparc64 (like the Sun V100 beside me),
but only as a Tier 2 platform (i.e. it works, but doesn't get high priority
support).

Kind regards,
            Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison