[Simh] Off topic: ULTRIX question

lists at openmailbox.org lists at openmailbox.org
Mon Jul 13 07:43:25 EDT 2015

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 23:08:13 +0000
lists at openmailbox.org wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 17:20:19 -0500
> Gary Lee Phillips <tivo.overo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Clearly VAX or Alpha aren't exactly high on their priority lists.
> > Current pages on both BSD sites link to non-existent pages on HP sites,
> > for instance.

According to this link: http://www.openbsd.org/57.html for OpenBSD 5.7
released in May of this year, they have prebuilt 6811 packages
(applications) for Alpha and 1550 for Vax. Whatever else you want can
hopefully built from the ports tree. If not then there is probably going to
be some medium to heavy lifting required.

Instructions and media for installing for Alpha:

ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.7/alpha/

and for VAX:

ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.7/vax/

Particularly see INSTALL.alpha and INSTALL.vax at the above two links for
more details on supported platforms and devices, along with an explanation
on what media is available and how to install.

Here you can find what prebuilt apps are available for Alpha:

ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.7/packages/alpha/

And for VAX here:

ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.7/packages/vax/

OpenBSD itself builds with an old version of gcc because of licensing
issues but newish versions of gcc are available in the ports tree and
sometimes as packages for certain architectures (platforms).