[Simh] VAX vectors

Rhialto rhialto at falu.nl
Sun Jul 12 06:41:07 EDT 2015

On Sat 11 Jul 2015 at 21:28:28 -0400, Clement T. Cole wrote:
> Not quite true. What started was a paper by an IBM fellow (John Cox).
> What John noted was that most of the 360/370 systems used a micro
> architecture below the basic 360 ISA. This micro architecture was

I once saved a pile of interesting looking paper from being burned in
the fireplace.  It turned out to be a granted patent application, the UK
version of Gene Myron Amdahl et al. of (what later was called) the 360.
It described in great detail the instructions and this new thing called
microcoding (although I don't rememer which words were used in the
patent). There were appendices with full schematics and a microcode
dump.

These days you can get PDFs from the US patent office of the thing, if
you manage to find its numbber (which I don't have at hand).

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'