[Simh] Missing (VAX) documents

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Fri Jul 10 17:59:22 EDT 2015

I'm kicking myself because in my days as a microcoder, I had the
microcode for every pre-85 VAX (including the 750 and 730) for reference
checking the MicroVAX II and CVAX microcode implementations. Like many
other people, I threw the listings away in a fit of downsizing because
"I'd never need them again."

I've checked with Tryg Fossum (8600, 9000) and Simon Steeley (730), and
they don't have copies either. They might be on microfiche somewhere,
but DEC was moving to electronic archiving in the 80s, and a lot of that
failed to survive the DEC to Compaq and Compaq to HP transitions, as
well as the various archival media transitions.

My archive of DEC documents is at the Computer History Museum. It
includes a lot of Digital Semi stuff from the pre-Alpha era, like the
specs for the Rigel chips. In the Alpha era, Digital Semi sold chips
commercially, and many of those specs have survived in electronic form.

/Bob