[Simh] Hardware fidelity in the VAX family simulators

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Wed Jul 8 18:17:58 EDT 2015

On 08-Jul-15 17:39, Bob Supnik wrote:
> The 780 and 3900 between them cover the complete history of VAX/VMS,
> Ultrix, and all the BSD variants.
Except for the VAX vector instructions... which GEM/Fortran knew about.
As did the Digital Extended Math library (done by my group).  But not
much else.

VMS has an emulator for those instructions (I wrote it).  I don't
believe it was ported to the Unix variants.  (If it was, it was after I
moved on and no one talked to me about it.)

Vectors?  What you add to an architecture just before you give up on
it.  Rigel and the 9000 supported VAX  vectors.  Alpha had them on its
roadmap for Ev8 before it died... CDC's ETA-10 implemented vectors, and
died.  However, Cray and its clones had a good run.  And of course there
were the bolt-on 'array processors' for various machines.