[Simh] Platform for VAX MP Experimentation (amongst other uses)

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 18:01:12 EST 2015

Hi

I was interested in the collective thoughts of SIMH users with regard to
simulator performance - and in particular - about what would be a suitable
platform to experiment with the multiprocessor variant of SIMH.

I have various reasons to be interested in a server that has multiple cores
- from virtualisation of Windows and other operating systems to running
multiple emulators including VAX and Alpha emulators.

I am seriously considering buying an HP Proliant 585 Gen 6 server - the
variant I'm looking it has 32 GB of RAM and 4 x hex core AMD Opteron 2.4Ghz
(8431) for a total of 24 cores. There isn't a great deal of performance
information out there but I think buying one of these second hand for
around GBP 250 is a sensible compromise between number of CPUs and price.

Are there any other multi-cpu servers I could sensibly consider given
budget constraints? Is 32 GB a sensible amount of RAM or should I got for
more?

Thanks for the help.

Mark.