[Simh] Build Failure

Bill Beech (NJ7P) nj7p at nj7p.org
Thu Feb 19 14:56:31 EST 2015

All,

I have a clean MinGW install.  I have a clean directory structure
containing the simh-master extraction from the simh-master.zip file.  I
have windows-build and windows-build-windows-build directories in the
same directory as simh-master.  Simh-master direcxtory is in
f:/oGitHub/Development/.  When I run build-mingw.bat I get:

F:\Development\0GitHub\simh-master>build_mingw.bat
gmake: not found
awk: not found
Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "then")
lib paths are: C:/MinGW/lib
include paths are: C:/MinGW/include
Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "then")
Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "then")
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, dir /b /s
..\windows-build\libSDL\SDL.h, ...)
  failed.
**  This build could produce simulators with video capabilities.     **
**  However, the required files to achieve this can't be found on    **
**  this system.  Download the file:                                 **
** https://github.com/simh/windows-build/archive/windows-build.zip **
**  Extract the windows-build-windows-build folder it contains to    **
** F:/Development/0GitHub **
.
Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "then")
Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "then")
Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "then")
**  This build is operating without the required windows-build       **
**  components and therefore will produce less than optimal          **
**  simulator operation and features.                                **
**  Download the file:                                               **
** https://github.com/simh/windows-build/archive/windows-build.zip **
**  Extract the windows-build-windows-build folder it contains to    **
** F:/Development/0GitHub **
.
***
*** all  Simulators being built with:
*** - compiler optimizations and no debugging support. GCC Version: 4.8.1.
***
if not exist BIN mkdir BIN
Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "then")
makefile:1328: recipe for target 'BIN/pdp1.exe' failed
mingw32-make: *** [BIN/pdp1.exe] Error 2

F:\Development\0GitHub\simh-master>

I noticed that the make file has been changes on 18 Feb and
windows-build-windows-build is new, and windows-build.zip is now
windows-build-windows-build.zip

The error about awk and gmake are new today.  The expecting "then" was
there yesterday, as well.  The two messages to download the file have
been FOLLOWED TO THE LETTER and are in error in the makefile.

Any idea what I need to change to get a clean compile?  Any chance that
the simh-master.zip might become stable and not be hit with fixes that
are obviously NOT debugged?

Thanks!

Bill