[Simh] On number bases

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Fri Feb 6 05:11:58 EST 2015

On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 09:35:35AM +0100, Andreas Davour wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2015, dave porter wrote:
>
> >Octal makes sense for the PDP11 since the instruction
> >format is divided into 3-bit fields (operand modes,
> >register specifiers, etc).
> >
> >Hex makes sense for the VAX since the instruction
> >format is divided into 4-bit fields (operand modes,
> >register specifiers, etc).
>
> How about PDP10, PDP8, PDP15 and other fun architectures?

Just by looking at DEC front panels (which I've spent a fair amount of
time doing :)) you can see that DEC was consistent in grouping bits in
fields of three, which translates nicely to octal.

This was reflected in most manuals I've read.

Look here: http://www.quadibloc.com/comp/pan07.htm

Regards,
Pontus.