[Simh] Multiple telnet ports in SimH to RSTS/E 9.6

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 15:07:07 EST 2015

On 12/31/15 1:52 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
> KMC/DUP are used for the 2780 emulation feature, which is a rather obscure layered product -- I don't know anything about it.

First, I should say that my knowledge of RSTS/E is limited to a half day
of trying it out. I appreciate your telling me that you don't know
anything about this particular device either. It may seem insignificant,
but it helps me categorize things as I learn to know if I should know it
or it is actually obscure.

> As of RSTS V9.0, if memory serves, terminal configuration is no longer set during Sysgen.  Instead, the monitor contains drivers for each supported terminal interface, and these are loaded at startup according to what hardware was found.
This was really good to learn. I was concerned that sysgen had so few
devices to configure.
> When you boot the system (at the "Start timesharing" prompt) enter "hardware list" to confirm that the DZ11s were indeed seen:
>
> Start timesharing? <Yes> HA LI
>
>    Name  Address Vector  Comments
>    TT0:   177560   060
>    RL0:   174400   160   Units: 0(RL01) 1(RL01)
>    RM0:   177440   210   Units: 0(RK06) 1(RK06) 2(RK06) 3(RK06) 4(RK06) 5(RK06)
>                                 6(RK06) 7(RK06)
>    RU0:   172150  P340   RQDX3   Units: 0(RA82) 1(RA82) 2(RD54) 3(RX50)
>    MU0:   174500  P344   TK50    Units: 0(TK50) 1(TK50) 2(TK50) 3(TK50)
>    TU0:   172440   224   BAE=+034, Units: 0(TE16 @TM03 #0) 1(TE16 @TM03 #0)
>    TC0:   177340   214
>    LP0:   177514   200
>    DZ0:   160100   300   Sub-lines: 8
>    DZ1:   160110   310   Sub-lines: 8
>    DZ2:   160120   320   Sub-lines: 8
>    DZ3:   160130   330   Sub-lines: 8
>    XE0:   174510   120   DELUA Address: 08-00-2B-CC-DD-EE
>
>    KW11L  177546   100
>    SR     177570
>    DR     177570
>
>    Hertz = 60.
>
>    Other: FPU, SL, 22-Bit, Data space, Cache w/address, System ID = 4660
>

> Option: <Start>
Hardware list is a brilliant tip. I see the DZ device in my list, good news.

> Next... I don't know why you expected telnet ports 10001-10007 to be active when you attached 10001.  The attach command sets up just that TCP port number as one SIMH listens to, serving all the mux ports behind it.  So you should be able to telnet to the port you specified multiple times, and when you do, SIMH should tell you that you're now connected to some port:
You are correct, of course. I originally confirmed 10001, but assumed
the others (I know, bad idea at this stage, assumptions...). Multiple
connections can be made to 10001. I learned something new again.

> pkoning$ telnet localhost 9999
> Trying ::1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
>

> Connected to the PDP-11 simulator DZ device, line 1
>

> RSTS P10.1-L 31-Dec-15 02:41 PM
> User:
> User: 1,211
> Last interactive login on 31-Dec-15, 02:41 PM at KB5:
> Last non-interactive login on 02-Apr-15, 04:31 PM
> 2 other users are logged in under this account
>

> $
>
> The other point to remember is that RSTS expects to do auto baud on all ports other than 0, in the standard setup at least.  So you need to enter RETURN twice before you get the login prompt.
This was the key. I only hit RETURN once to check, not twice. After
hitting enter twice, it worked like a champ.

Thanks for the help!

Will