[Simh] Writeup of PDP-11 bootstrap loader analysis

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 15:36:44 EST 2015

All,

I have finished an analysis of the PDP-11 bootstrap loader code that may
be of interest to folks working with SimH. As many of y'all know, I am
pursuing a deeper understanding of Unix V6, which is pretty intertwined
with PDP-11 architecture, and in this day of virtual machines, the SimH
simulator (I don't have a PDP-11 laying around). Recently, my pursuit
has gone down the road of assembly language and machine code. In getting
a grip on these, I did a line by line analysis of how the bootstrap
loader loads the absolute loader (which loads other absolute format
paper tapes). Given that the bootstrap loader is 14 words long, you
would think it would be really straightforward. Maybe I'm slow, but this
turned out to be much more intricate a program than I thought it would
be. It's self-modifying and the addressing modes of the PDP-11 are a bit
difficult to work with (that and octal addition is strange to me).

I will follow up on this entry with a more user friendly writeup that
explains how loading DEC-BASIC is accomplished using the bootstrap and
absolute loaders.

Here is the link, I appreciate any feedback be it comments, suggestions,
or criticisms:

http://decuser.blogspot.com/2015/12/analysis-of-pdp-11-bootloader-code.html

Regards,

Will