[Simh] GOLD Keys and such

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Dec 19 11:38:05 EST 2015

Hi, Will.

On 2015-12-19 15:16, Will Senn wrote:

> On 12/18/15 7:57 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>
>> GOLD and COMMAND on the other hand are specific keys on DEC terminals,
>> that both sent specific sequences of characters when pressed. As such,
>> this is a bit more complicated. You could of course just send those
>> sequence of characters yourself, but it might be non-trivial to
>> remember the exact sequence, and there might also be timeouts in some
>> software that could defeat you if you try typing them in by hand.
>> Also, different DEC terminals might have sent different sequences for
>> those keys, so the exact sequence might depend on what terminal you
>> appear to have.
>
> Johnny,
>
> I am now using MacWise in VT100 mode and have figured out how to get
> GOLD and COMMAND to work (mapped {ESC O P to PF1 and {ESC O w to PF7 in
> MacWise). However, I'm still wrapping my head around what is happening
> as a result with respect to the keycodes. You explanation around
> timeouts is interesting and helpful. I have been reading the VT101 User
> Manual and that too, is helpful, although, there are a whole lot of
> codes and it would seem that I only need to be concerned with a few.

Excellent.

> Let me ask you this, if I need to send a form feed or a line feed or
> another ascii character that is not given a direct representation (or
> the correct representation) by my keyboard, is there a mechanism to send
> the keycode directly? For example, linefeed is ASCII decimal 10. Is
> there an escape sequence that is equivalent to sending 10 across (maybe
> something along the lines of ESC [ 1 0 or something)?

Like I said before. Linefeed is a ASCII character, so there is no escape
sequence or similar that "is the same". A linefeed is a linefeed.
And as I said in my previous post, on *most* terminals, you can generate
a linefeed by pressing control+J, but it is not 100% guaranteed to work.
But I would suspect that works. Some terminal (like the VT100) also have
a specific key labelled "linefeed", which will send a linefeed when
pressed (just like the key labelled "A" will send an "a" or "A" when
pressed). Formfeed is another ASCII character, with a value of 12. On
*most* terminals, you can send that character by pressing control+L.

> On another note, it seems like the Mac Terminal ought to work as a
> VT100, or even VT52, since they are in the avanced section of the
> properties list, but I can't figure out how to make them behave reasonably.

In which way are they not behaving "properly"?

	Johnny