[Simh] Old school programming with wiresnips and a question about debugging standalone assembly

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 18:51:58 EST 2015

All,

I was watching an old PDP-11 video when, seriously, I came across an
explanation of programming that involved wire snips. It was interesting
and brought home to me the concept of memory pages and such. I thought I
would share the screen shot with y'all. If it doesn't come through
imagine a guy with a pair of wire cutters snipping off diodes from a ROM
card for a PDP11. Is this really how y'all programmed back in the day :)?

Is it possible to single step through a machine language program (such
as the bootstrap loader) that was entered using deposit commands as it
loads another program (such as the absolute loader,
which this particular diode ROM represents) and similarly step through
the absolute loader itself as it loads something like DEC-BASIC from
paper tape, and if so, what does that process look like in SimH terms?

Thanks,

Will