[Simh] {Spam?} transferring files to and from v6 unix running in pdp11 emulator

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 22:40:09 EST 2015

On 11/20/15 1:22 PM, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> Den 2015-11-20 kl. 20:12, skrev Will Senn:

>>> I usually do this by just tar'ing to/from a disk file, something like:
>>>
>>> on pdp11: tar cf /dev/rxp0c myfiles
>>> on host: tar xf simh-disk-file
>>>
>>> Works both ways :-)
>>>
>>> -- Ragge
>> Hi,
>>
>> This sounded promising, but as it turns out there appear to be 2
>> problems... 1. v6 doesn't have tar, and 2. it looks like v6 doesn't
>> have rx device support (floppies). Are you using v6 with tweaks, or
>> v7, or some other variant of unix?
> Hm, it was some time ago, but I think it was tar.  Otherwise try cpio?
> You do not have to use floppies.  rxp is the raw device for rp disks
> (avoids caching).  Just work against that file.

To close the loop on this, I have been able to follow the closing advice
in "Setting up Unix - Seventh Edition" and use its v6tar on v6. It
appears to require split I+D, so I had to "upgrade" from the 11/40 to an
11/45 or 11/70 (both work). It requires the the kernel be recompiled
with separate I+D support with m45.s and such, but pretty
straightforward. I haven't done a lot of copying yet, but at least I am
able to share between v6 and v7. I have also worked out a couple of
different ways to move files to and from the host that involve the disk
or tape. I wrote a perl script to read a SimH tape into its constituent
files that works ok as a way to transfer files as well (clunkier than
tar and such, but it was a good learning exercise).

Thanks,

Will