[Simh] Graphics Terminals and Graphic System Phototypesetters

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 22:33:47 EST 2015

All,

I am using the SimH PDP 11 simulator to learn about the PDP 11/40/45/70
architectures with a particular focus on Sixth and Seventh Edition Unix.
I have written a couple of notes based on my experiences/trials that are
available at:

v6 -
http://decuser.blogspot.com/2015/11/installing-and-using-research-unix.html
and
v7 -
http://decuser.blogspot.com/2015/12/installing-and-using-research-unix.html

I am open to comments, suggestions, and criticisms, I have been getting
an inordinate amount of help from the folks on the TUHS mailing list
with respect to the Unix side of things, but now I am looking into the
SimH side of things and was hoping y'all might help...

Is is possible to simulate a graphics terminal in SimH for the
PDP-11/40/45/70. So far, I have been able to get a text console working
(I think it's a Teletype ASR-33) and serial consoles (DCI). I have seen
some video of real PDP's playing lunar lander and such on graphics
terminals, and if this is possible in a simulated environment, I would
like to try it out.

Also, is it possible to simulate a graphics system phototypesetter? I
get the feeling that this is what TROFF was actually designed for and
would be interested in trying it out, as well.

I'm a relative newbie to SimH, PDP 11's, and Unix v6/v7, so if I'm
completely off base in my questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Will