[Simh] Looking for a working 9-track magtape transcription setup

Alan Frisbie Frisbie at Flying-Disk.com
Wed Dec 2 13:21:52 EST 2015

On 12/02/2015 09:39 AM, Bob Supnik wrote:
> A friend found a 9-track magtape that contains a backup of
 > the operating system for the Datacraft 6024/3, a 24-bit
> system from the 1970s. This may be the only surviving software
> for that machine. He thought he had a transcription, but
 > apparently not.
>
> If the tape is still readable, he'll need a system with a
 > working 9-track magtape, preferably one that treats tapes
 > very gently. Does anyone know of a working setup?

I just happen to be in the process of making TPC files of
my 900 9-tracks (500 done, 400 to go), so I think I can do
it.

For 1600 and 6250 bpi tapes, I have a DEC TSZ07 which is
about the most gentle drive I know.   For 800 bpi, my
drive is a Cipher 910, which is less gentle.

Because of the problem with the binder chemistry of old
tapes, I bake the tapes for 48 to 72 hours at 134 degrees F
before trying to read them.   Even then, I have only about
a 80% success rate.   3M Blackwatch tapes read the best,
while old DEC distribution tapes are about the worst.
Everything else is a crap shoot.

I am leaving town in a few minutes and will not be back
for at least a week.   I will not have any email access
until my return, so please be patient.

Alan Frisbie