[Simh] off-topic basic translator

Robert Thomas rft at asthomas.com
Thu Aug 6 10:45:49 EDT 2015

I'm sure that I'm missing something, but VAX/VMS runs very well under SIMH.
If you have access to the hobbyist program it is straightforward to install
VMS and Basic.  We have a number of very old Basic programs that haven't yet
been converted to Itanium VMS 8.4 that when they are needed (approximately
once per year), we start SIMH on a PC and boot the "MicroVAX".  It never
ceases to amaze us how small and efficient SIMH, the VAX emulators, VMS with
all of the layered products are when compared to the "modern" operating
systems.  The performance of the emulated MicroVAX on a relatively recent PC
is very good.

When properly configured, the emulated MicroVAX system can become part of a
cluster (although there is no official support for mixed VAX 7.3 and
Itanium-64 8.4 clusters).  We are able to use DECWindows/MOTIF to connect
from PC's and VMS systems to the emulated system.

Sincerely,

Robert F. Thomas

A. S. Thomas, Inc.

 44 Industrial Way
Norwood, MA USA 02062
*  Office Phone - (781) 329-9200
* mail to: rft at asthomas.com

[Disclaimer] WARNING- This document may contain technical data whose export
is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., SEQ 2751 ET
SEQ) or the Export Administration Act (Title 50, U.S.C., APP 2401-2420).
Violations of these export laws are subject to severe criminal penalties.
This e-mail is strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
It may contain information which is covered by legal, professional, or other
privilege. If you are not the intended addressee you must not use, disclose,
or copy this transmission. This E-mail is not intended to impose nor shall
it be construed as imposing any legally binding obligation upon A. S.
Thomas, Inc. ("AST"), and/or any subsidiaries thereof or associated
companies therof. Neither AST nor any subsidiaries thereof or associated
companies thereof gives any representation or warranty as to the accuracy or
completeness of the contents of this E-mail. AST shall not be held liable to
any person resulting from the use of any information contained in this
E-mail and shall not be liable to any person who acts or omits to do
anything in reliance upon it.  Unendorsed export or re-export is prohibited.