[Simh] off-topic basic translator

Göran Åhling ahling at eadc.se
Wed Aug 5 02:33:16 EDT 2015

Den 2015-08-04 kl. 17:52, skrev Dan Gahlinger:
> Does anyone have or know where I can get a copy of the Vax Basic
> translator?
> Especially for VMS or windows or something?
>
> I'd like to convert my old Vax Basic programs to something usable on
> modern systems,
> but while Vax Basic is simple enough there are a few things I have
> trouble with,
> such as MAP statements, records, etc.

If "modern systems" is included in the set of {Win; Mac OSX; Linux;
Android}, why not stay BASIC?
http://www.qb64.net/
I have used it to make old GW-basic-programs usable in a PC of today
(ie. >= Win 7).

The snag was to run an old GW-basic, load the program into it, and then
save the program using Ascii-mode, to get a file that QB64 can load.
(Actually a file that looks like a LIST print-out, as opposed to the
GW-basic native format)

It is described in Microsoft Knowledge base: Article ID: 80745

I was astonished how much of structural-programming possibilities and
support that has been put into this modern BASIC, the step from "old
days" style that was more close to Fortran-4 is immense! It can
definitively be used to write "Pascal-looking" programs.

In my case, one of the programs I converted didn't work properly, so I
ended up correcting it - taking all line-numbers away was a great start,
as the problem was hidden in GOTO:s by the original author...

Besides from using the QB-64 once, I have no hooks to it or to its
development...

/Göran