[Simh] Porting simh for IBM VM/CMS

rubhone at aol.com rubhone at aol.com
Sat Aug 1 13:32:01 EDT 2015

Dave,

You need not be amazed; your idea is sound and as you mentioned, getting the brackets
right was the worst of it.  Congrats on the code transformation from simply "nasty" to
"really horrid" and finally "truely noxious".  I'll insert some line breaks and comments to
make it potentially readable.  (Here I thought APL was the only write-only language.)

Perhaps this original code struck you as nasty because it is really a hidden OS dependency,
is it not?  Or are character set arrangements not included in that realm?

Thinking about related matters, do I need to be concerned that the IBM systems are
big endian?  It appears that simh takes this into account with the sim_finit routine in sim_fio.c,
but there could be other places with data coding assumptions not fitting the /370 architecture.

For the moment, I hacked the "attach" <dev>" code to avoid a rb+ file open attempt since
the CMS implementation of the stdio package does not support simultaneous r/w file access.
This will surely prove to be another big problem, but for now the attach is successful for an
existing file.

Fritz