[Simh] EXT :Re: PDP-10 simulation: DEUNA support help needed

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Apr 27 21:56:07 EDT 2015

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015, Rich Alderson wrote:

> I can't speak to ITS at the moment, those bits are buried deep under more
> current projects, of which the most relevant is WAITS on a 1095 here at the
> museum.

I am very inteested in WAITS; didn't it require custom hardware though?

> SU-AI[1] only had 3Mbit Experimental Ethernet, courtesy of a Xerox interface
> card for the PDP-11.  This was installed into the 11/40 front end on the KL[2]
> in order to talk a batch of Altos donated by Xerox at the same time.  This only
> ever spoke PUP.[3]

Huh.  Was the VAX one similar?

> WAITS, which began as the PDP-6 monitor and diverged from Tops-10 around the
> time of the 4S72 monitor, supported NCP until TCP/IP came along, at which point
> the lab made a clean break from NCP.  There was never any Ethernet-related code
> underlying the NCP or IP protocol stacks.

Interesting.

> I'm currently working on getting networking going on WAITS.  I have a console-
> only system running, since late last fall.  It was only a month ago that one of
> the SAIL alumni advising this project pointed out that WAITS never used the
> MEIS (or any other Ethernet interface) for TCP/IP.  We're trying to get a Xerox
> card for the front end, since we have Altos anyway, and to figure out how we're
> going to put this on the Internet.

Can I get a disk/tape image? ;)

Easier asking you than rudely mass-downloading from SAILDART and
attempting to assemble an FS...

How's your ... 1065? running TOPS-10 connected?  Bridge from a terminal
server?

> Years before Digital brought out the NIA-20, there was a successful commercial
> product, the Massbus-Ethernet Interface Subsystem (MEIS), from Cisco.  This was
> a 10Mbit ("10base5", in modern parlance) version of a 3Mbit board set invented
> at Stanford for the purpose of networking the various PDP-10 sites on campus
> together.[4]  The Stanford monitor (ancestor of the Panda monitor of which so
> many people are fond) supported TCP/IP as well as PUP over the MEIS, both 3Mbit
> and 10Mbit; Cisco and Mark Crispin separately decided to remove the PUP code
> from their monitors.[5]

I have all of the Stanford patches for that sitting on a Panda install,
interestingly enough.  I also have something lsited as an MIT and BBN
monitor.

> [4] In 1984 when I went to work at Stanford's academic computing facility LOTS
>    there were more than a dozen systems running TOPS-20 or TENEX on campus:
>    LOTS had 4, CompSci had 2 (SCORE and SAIL), EE had 2 (Sierra and one I don't
>    remember the name of), the Center for the Study of Language and Information
>    had 1 or 2 (CSLI and another), the Medical School had 2 (SUMEX, a KL, and a
>    KS whose name I do not remember), the Graduate School of Business had 2 (HOW
>    and WHY), the Data Center had 1 (ConTEXT, IIRC), and the Institute for
>    Mathematical Studies in the Social Sciences had a dual-processor KI (IMSSS,
>    running TENEX).

Do you have a pure TENEX system running?  I've always wanted to poke
around in pure TENEX.

> [5] All of Cisco's business and engineering was done on DEC-20 systems for the
>    first half dozen years or so.

Interesting, originals or TOADs?

Also: for the LCM SC-40s: The SCSI controller chip can do either HVD or
SE, from what I've been told and from my own invstigations...it can be
changed by swapping a small daughterboard which doesn't seem to be more
than some resistor packs and some line drivers.  Could more easily use
say, SCSI2SD on those, that way.

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff