[Simh] EXT :Re: PDP-10 simulation: DEUNA support help needed

Hittner, David T (IS) david.hittner at ngc.com
Mon Apr 27 11:36:45 EDT 2015

As the original writer of the SIMH DEUNA device, I concur with Tim. If there had been a TOPS 10/20 DEUNA driver, I would have tried to test it during the SIMH DEUNA device development, but Tim, Zane Healy, Fred van Kempen, and others indicated that a production DEUNA driver did not exist, only a few partially-tested hacks. :-(
I do agree that 10/20 networking would be a desirable goal.

If you're trying to get DECNET running between a TOPS 10/20 implementation and some other DECNET-capable system, you have two choices:

 1) You can add a DEUNA driver to the TOPS OS to use the existing capability of the SIMH DEUNA Ethernet device
  Pros: Could support protocols other than DECNET (IP, LAT, etc.), better performance, more 'standard' implementation
  Cons: driver may not be easy portable to other 10/20 OS's, simultaneous driver/device debugging, custom driver must be added to each 10/20 OS install

or

 2) You could modify an existing SIMH device of one of the DECNET-supported point-to-point network device interfaces already supported  by TOPS to 'fake' the point-to point link over Ethernet by wrapping the data in an Ethernet packet and filtering the Ethernet traffic down so that it looks like a point-to-point link. Theoretically, no OS debugging would be required, but in practice SIMH device debugging tends to require walking the OS code to see the simulated device interactions. You might need to add some data buffering in the SIMH device so that the TOPS OS doesn't lose data due to service timing loops - Ethernet can be wicked fast compared to the speed of the old timing loops.
  Pros: no changes required to existing 10/20 OS drivers for DECNET III/IV, single device to debug
  Cons: possible timing loop data loss issues, more complex SIMH device behavior, not easily expanded for non-DECNET network protocols

If you're interested in pursuing the latter, remember to debug the Ethernet connections on a hard wire; wireless Ethernet has many implementation subtleties that make it difficult for non-IP protocols like DECNET. I might even be able to provide some midnight project help with either of these, although like Tim, I can't promise how much time might be available.

Dave