[Simh] Extracting SimH Tapes on Linux

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Nov 29 11:48:54 EST 2014

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Stephen Merrony <steve at stephenmerrony.co.uk
> wrote:

> extract a tape dump in SimH format

​Can you be a little more detailed here.  The file is a SimH format of the
a tape.  But the tape itself has been formatted by the application on the
OS that wrote it.

eg.  if its a UNIX "dump" format tape you need:   something to under the
SimH format and create a bytes stream to push into a program that
understand the UNIX restore format - which also means you might have NUXI
issues depend on the simulator that wrote it, since dump writes integers in
native formats in the metadata.

or if it's a TOPS "dumper" (aka backup)​ you will need something to under
the SimH format and create a bytes stream to feed program that understand
the PDP-10 dumper format.

FYI: I used to have tools for the later part, although I have never run
them on Linux. The last time i ran them was an Alpha under Tru64.   I'll
have to go digging.