[Simh] SIMH tape images to real tapes

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Fri May 23 21:56:14 EDT 2014

Cory,

I found that RSTS tape image at BitSavers and got the same error you did when I converted it.  As you said, the conversion looks fine -- TAPELOOK shows the same contents: 151 files processed.

It is a weird hybrid format. :)  (I've never used RSTS, so I never included this format in my TAPELOOK program.)  It looks like a boot block, some DEC DOS labeled files, and then a BACKUP or BRU save-set (you can see the ANSI labels).

TAPELOOK did not run into the SIMH format error that SIMH2MTD did.  I'm wondering if TAPELOOK stops when it runs into two tape marks at the end of the tape, whereas SIMH2MTD does not.  I'll have a look.

Let me know if you are successful.  As I said before, TAPELOOK should show the same contents for the .tap image, the .mtd image, and the actual 9-track tape when you're done.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov