[Simh] Where/who to contribute code...

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Fri May 16 00:31:56 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Larry Baker <baker at usgs.gov> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I've asked before, but I forget.  Where is a repository I
> can upload my code to share?  What format is preferred?

I'm not affiliated with the core development team, but I'd suggest Github.
 I was delighted when they moved from distributing tarballs to using Github
as the central repo.

Although there's no "master" repo in git, your version will get credited as
the root of all forks, but, because of the distributed nature of git, if
you get distracted in the future, someone else can take over as the hub of
development -- or a set of people can collaborate to make progress.  It's a
pretty nice mix of technology and social conventions.

Open source repos are free and they include an issue tracker, a wiki, and
other useful stuff.  If you don't like Github, there are similar setups at
BitBucket and elsewhere, but, to my eye, Github seems to have captured the
major share of the open source hackers.

Just one suggestion...

Tom