[Simh] Semi OT: Using VDE for Networking

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon May 5 13:57:36 EDT 2014

Banging my head on the desk here...

I'm attempting to use VDE under Debian linux to virtualise my network interface for SimH and I'm getting confused.

Starting vde_switch using:

vde_switch -t tap0 -s /tmp/vde.ctl -m 666 --mgmt /tmp/vde.mgmt --mgmtmode 666 --daemon

then telling SimH:

attach xq vde:/tmp/vde.ctl

This works fine, and as such SimH itself is all fine and good as far as I can see.

What I can't grok however is if it's possible to start a vde_switch at boot time, and if you can where the switch uses as it's switch and management locations? Nothing I've looked at in hours of Googling has ben at all helpful. One suggestion said adding tap0 to /etc/network/interfaces would start it at boot, it doesn't, it fails really badly on Ubuntu 14.04 and doesn't work in a less dramatic but still unsatisfactory manner on Debian wheezy.

Is anyone using vde under linux and can you help me?

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info
Twitter: @DECtecInfo