[Simh] 4.2BSD with networking on a VAX 11/780

Jason Stevens jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com
Tue Jul 15 08:46:35 EDT 2014

Glad you could reproduce it... although I did this years ago.. Finding the
driver in Google groups was a godsend, since it was pretty useless without
networking.

Years ago I built a few things for 4.2 to make it feel a little more modern,
although to be honest the UWSIC build of 4.3BSD is so much more useful.

I have tap files of the following binary packages:

gcc-1.21.binary.BSD-4.2.tap.bz2

dungeon-2.5.6.binary.BSD-4.2.tap.bz2

flex-2.5.4.binary.BSD-4.2.tap.bz2

gcc-1.42.binary.BSD-4.2.tap.bz2

bison-1.25.binary.BSD-4.2.tap.bz2

hack-1.0.3.binary.BSD-4.2.tap.bz2

gzip-1.2.4.binary.BSD-4.2.tap.bz2

gcc-1.27.binary.BSD-4.2.tap.bz2

which are available here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bsd42/files/Package%20Tapes/4.2%20BSD/
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/bsd42/files/Package%20Tapes/4.2%20BSD/>

And if you look around the project files, I have quite a bit built out for
more platforms as well.

I couldn't get an IRC client to build to save my life, but on 4.3 it was
pretty trivial.  I'd avoid RENO, it really is quite unstable when you push
it hard.

Jason

  _____