[Simh] Standalone boot on vax8600?

Henry Bent hbent at oberlin.edu
Sat Jul 12 22:19:28 EDT 2014

Cool, thanks.

I figured out what's going on.  The standalone programs are running, they
just aren't displaying any input or output after the first character is
printed.  So if I do this:

--
sim> load -o boot 0
sim> run 2

--
and then blindly type "ra(0,0)vmunix", it boots!

--
Ultrix V2.2 System #2: Wed Nov 18 01:14:13 EST 1987
real mem  = 8388608
avail mem = 6888448
using 34 buffers containing 278528 bytes of memory
VAX 8600, serial no. 1234, hardware level = 7
IO adapter 0 at address 0x20080000 is an SBI adapter
uba0 at address 0x20006000
uda0 at uba0
uq0 at uda0 csr 172150 vec 774, ipl 15
ra0 at uq0 slave 0
de0 at uba0 csr 174510 vec 120, ipl 15
mba0 at address 0x20012000
ht0 at mba0 drive 0
tu0 at ht0 slave 0
boot device not found
root device?
--

And I can then interact with the console, characters are displayed
normally, etc.

-Henry