[Simh] Standalone boot on vax8600?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Jul 10 21:59:29 EDT 2014

On 2014-07-11 02:22, Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm wrote:

> [...]
>  > >
>  > > The last character output in a message just prior to executing a
> HALT instruction is not surprising since the simulator implements a
> delay (as a number of instructions executed) from when the data is put
> in the output register prior to generating the completion
> interrupt/status.  The halt instruction gets executed before the delay
> number of instructions have completed.  Even if that was 'fixed',
> nothing operational would change.  The reason the message has been
> generated will still exist.
>  > >
>  > > As for direct support for booting an OS from the console media, the
> 8600 supports BOOT CS /R5:xx to boot from the console RL02.  Other than
> that, VMB.EXE is actually performing the boot operation and I think that
> when I checked VMB didn't know how to boot from console floppies on a
> 780, but it can boot from the console TU58 on both the 730 and 750 (BOOT
> TD /R5:xx).
>  >
>  > Well, I used to boot NetBSD on "my" 8650 by direct booting without VMB,
>  > Here is the COM file:
>  >
>  > ------------
>  > !
>  > ! Load 'boot.' and boot NetBSD.
>  > !
>  > ! 'ra' MSCP drive type boot to multi user mode
>  > !
>  > !
>  > SET SNAP ON             ! Enable ERROR_HALT snapshots
>  > SET FBOX OFF            ! System will turn on Fbox
>  > INIT                    ! SRM processor init
>  > UNJAM                   ! UNJAM SBIA's and enable master sbia interrupts
>  > INIT/PAMM               ! INIT physical address memory map
>  > DEPOSIT CSWP 8          ! Turn off the cache - System will enable cache
>  >
>  > !DEPOSIT R10 9          ! 'ra' MSCP drive type - uba0 - drive 0
>  > !DEPOSIT R11 0          ! Software boot flags (multi user mode)
>  >
>  > DEP R0 11
>  > DEP R1 20006000
>  > DEP R2 2013f468
>  > DEP R3 F                ! Unit number
>  > DEP R4 0
>  >
>  > LOAD/START:0 BOOT.      ! Load 'boot.' at memory location 0
>  > START 60                ! Start 'boot.' at the address 60
>  > ------------
>  >
>  > But note, that is not not through VMB, so any discussions about R5
>  > previously is not relevant here. Also, the start address is very much
>  > depending on the actual image loaded.
>
> All of these things can still be done with the simh VAX simulators.  The
> default BOOT command operations setup and use VMB since that was the
> most common operation across 'most' deployed systems.  What is done
> within the BOOT command is very much what Johnny's COM file does (init
> register values as need, load and start VMB).

For completeness sake then, here is the command files to boot VMS and
NetBSD, using VMB as well.

(VMS, booting an RA disk over CI)
----------
!
! Version: 001.000
!
!       CI PORT BOOT COMMAND FILE - CIBOO.COM
!
!       This CI port boot command file is set up to boot from a CI
!       device; for example, a HSC based disk.
!
!       It assumes the CI780 is on SBIA #0, the TR level of the CI780
!       is set to 14, the HSC node number is set to 15 and the disk's
!       unit number is 0.
!
!       If any of these assumptions are not true for your configuration,
!       you may still use this command file by entering the BOOT/NOSTART
!       console command and then altering the appropriate register values
!       when the console command prompt reappears. Use the console
!       command SHOW BOOT.HLP/ASCII to get more information on how to
!       use the BOOT/NOSTART command and R5 boot options.
!
!
! Operating System Disk:        CI DEVICE
!
!
SET SNAP ON             ! Enable ERROR_HALT snapshots
SET FBOX OFF            ! VMS will turn on Fbox
INIT                    ! SRM processor init
UNJAM                   ! UNJAM SBIAs, Enable Master SBI interrupts
DEPOSIT CSWP 8          ! Turn off the cache (VMS turns the cache on)
!
DEPOSIT R0 20           ! Device Type is CI780
DEPOSIT R1 E            ! SBIA #0; TR number of the CI780 is 14
DEPOSIT R2 3            ! HSC port number 15
DEPOSIT R3 4            ! Unit number to boot from (in HEX)
DEPOSIT R4 0            ! Logical block number to boot from if R5 bit 3
is set
                         ! Use R5 for optional boot control flags
DEPOSIT R5 0            ! Boot to multiuser.
FIND/MEMORY             ! Locate a 64KB chunk of good memory
EXAMINE SP              ! Display load address
LOAD/START:@ VMB        ! Load VMB 200 bytes above the start of the good
block
START @                 ! Start VMB at the load address
--------

And NetBSD, booting from an RA drive connected locally.
--------
!
! Version: 001.000
!
!       DU0 BOOT COMMAND FILE - DU0BOO.COM
!
!       This UNIBUS disk boot command file is set up to boot from a RA
!       series disk connected to a UDA50.
!
!       It assumes the DW780 is on SBIA #0, the TR level of the DW780
!       is set to 5, the UDA50 is the first one on the system, the
!       UDA50 CSR address is 772150 and the disk's unit number is 0.
!
!       If any of these assumptions are not true for your configuration,
!       you may still use this command file by entering the BOOT/NOSTART
!       console command and then altering the appropriate register values
!       when the console command prompt reappears. Use the console
!       command SHOW BOOT.HLP/ASCII to get more information on how to
!       use the BOOT/NOSTART command and R5 boot options.
!
!
! Operating System Disk:        UNIBUS DISK (UDA50)
!
!
SET SNAP ON             ! Enable ERROR_HALT snapshots
SET FBOX OFF            ! VMS will turn on Fbox
INIT                    ! SRM processor init
UNJAM                   ! UNJAM SBIAs, Enable Master SBI interrupts
DEPOSIT CSWP 8          ! Turn off the cache (VMS turns the cache on)
!
DEPOSIT R0 11           ! Device Type is UDA50
DEPOSIT R1 3            ! SBIA #0; TR of the DW780 is 3 (DW0)
DEPOSIT R2 0103F468     ! Controller A (01) at Unibus CSR address 772150
DEPOSIT R3 F            ! Unit number to boot from (in HEX)
DEPOSIT R4 0            ! Logical block number to boot from if R5 bit 3
is set
                         ! Use R5 for optional boot control flags
DEPOSIT R5 10008        ! Boot to multiuser (bit 0 - ask for image)
                         !                   (bit 1 - single user)
FIND/MEMORY             ! Locate a 64KB chunk of good memory
EXAMINE SP              ! Display load address
LOAD/START:@ VMB        ! Load VMB 200 bytes above the start of the good
block
START @                 ! Start VMB at the load address
--------

These are the actual files on my console pack, and they are used just
like they appear here.

	Johnny