[Simh] Fwd: 4.3BSD Quasijarus0c on the VAX-11/730

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Jul 2 08:44:52 EDT 2014

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:

> Bah, I just noticed shortly after sending the message that it was only
> pointing at Mark and Cory not the list reflector. That has been
> rectified none the less.

Whoops. ;)

[snipping]
> Many thanks to Cory for figuring out the magic needed to get the
> Quasijarus standalone boot to work on the 780. It makes sense now that
> I look at it. Although I'm having some difficulty getting past the
> initial boot-label-disk-and-restore-root phase. Are there any copies
> of the VAX-11/780 console diskette out there (the original DEC one)?
> Labelling the RP07 I installed to with the hpboot / boothp
> bootblock(s) doesn't result in a bootable disk (BOOT RP0 doesn't
> work), so I'd like to try it the way the Quasijarus manual says it
> should be done (create a modified console floppy that boots the RP07
> disk).

I don't have any images of the 11/780 console floppy...but I DO have a VMS
3.x console floppy.  I think diag floppies are up on ftp dot trailing-edge, too.

I DO however have images of the 11/750 diag floppies.

> In other news, I have had some assistance getting Quasijarus up and
> running on the 11/730 --- which is where my end goal is in this
> endeavour. If one extracts the standalone boot and copy from the
> srcsys.tar archive they can be loaded into the 730's memory via LOAD.
> (At location 0, of course, and then starting the sim from 2.) But I
> have run into some difficulty with the RB730 simulation. There might
> be a bug in it, I am uncertain, but on the initial boot of the system
> it gets stuck in an infinite loop of "idc0: lost interrupt".

Try disabling all other units for the controller, and all other unused
controllers.

> I've packaged up a copy of my simulator config, as well as the
> relevant Quasijarus files:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69943308/Quasijarus-730beta.zip
> (12.7MB)

Downloading now.

> ts0 at zs0 slave 0
> dz0 at uba0 csr 160100 vec 300, ipl 15
> dz1 at uba0 csr 160110 vec 310, ipl 15
> lp0 at uba0 csr 177514 vec 200, ipl 14
> root device? rb0*         <--- Enter "rb0*" here.
> idc0: lost interrupt       <--- This error repeats infinitely.

The only person I know with an 11/730 has a currently non-functional
one...or it lacks a drive.  One of the two...forget which so I can't
confirm if it's a SIMH or 4.3 bug.

> So, I'm not quite sure what's wrong with the RB730, but at least one
> is able to partially get QUasijarus up and running on the 11/730.

I'll go fiddle with it and respond with my findings.

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff