[Simh] Booting a real VAX from an emulated one

Eric Smith esmithmail at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 16:22:00 EDT 2014

I apologize in advance .. I may well be posting this in the wrong
forum.  If so, if someone would be so kind as to redirect me offline I
would appreciate it.

I have a uVAX 3900 I rescued about 10 years ago.  It was headed for a
dumpster.  It has two 300 meg drives and 16M of RAM, one
non-functional tape drive, and a qbus card I have a 10 meg network
adapter plugged into.

It had VMS v 5.something on it I believe at the time.  Over the years
I (inadvertently) mangled that installation trying to learn VMS and
ended up putting an instance of OpenBSD on it.  I did this by running
mopd on another unix box and booting the VAX over the network.

I would like to install VMS on it again, but not sure how to get it
there.  The tape drive doesn't pull tape anymore.

I'm thinking you VMS experts know a way I can use my SIMH VAX VMS
emulation to boot the real VAX from? I'm thinking it is possible to
boot VMS this way, and/or do a VMS installation this way, correct?

Again, I realize this isn't a purely SIMH post, so if more appropriate
to contact me offline, please do.  Any direct help or just pointers to
an online resource would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Eric KD5UWL