[Simh] 4.3BSD Quasijarus0c on the VAX-11/730

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 02:39:48 EDT 2014

For reasons of "I had nothing better to do" and "Why not?" I've
decided to try and bring up Quasijarus on the 11/730 simulator. And I
am having absolutely no luck.

I cannot boot the TS11 tape drive, trying to do so gives one "Command
not allowed" attempting to boot the first TU81 (TQ0) starts loading
boot code from VMB.EXE, and then halts, hitting continue I get
"%BOOT-F-NOFAC,  Boot driver requests dynamic storage.  Allocation
routines not present" which loops infinitely. I can boot the console
TU58 ("boot td"), but while it does actually do something, but it
tries to load a boot file off of the console tape, I've tried with
both Brad Parker's console TU58, and the TU58 that comes with the
Quasijarus distribution. Trying to "boot CPU" as in the microVAX 3900
is "Command not allowed".

I've even tried the VAX 8200 console RL02 that comes with Quasijarus,
it halts with a "%BOOT-F-Unable to locate BOOT fil" (unless set to
conhalt whereupon it loops trying to boot the RL and failing).

Keying in the TS11 bootstrap by hand results in the sim giving a
"Reboot request failed, PC: 0000023E (HALT)".

So, at present, I'm stuck. I cannot for the life of me figure out how
to get this to work. I know that Quasijarus will work on the 11/730,
but I cannot get to the point of running the standalone format or copy
programs on the 730.

Any possible advice might be helpful.

As a postscript, I have also tried to run the install on the VAX780
simulator, and the results are... at best very strange, at worst
non-functional. For example: "fload copy" followed by "run 200" (to
get the standalone copy program off of the console floppy that comes
with Quasijarus) does load the standalone copy program. However, all
inputs result in:
Known devices are:
             `�P
(That is, after the "Known devices are:" line is some spaces
random-looking ASCII control character, spaces, and more random
looking ASCII.)
The same happens when attempting to run the standalone boot off the
console floppy. However, it only allows one to specify the device if
and only if you have tried to run the standalone copy earlier, and
then attempted to enter a device into copy, otherwise it always starts
up with:
Boot
: /vmunix
With no ability to break into it and change it.

Kind regards,
Christian Gauger-Cosgrove

--
Christian M. Gauger-Cosgrove