[Simh] tops-10/20 question about telnet etc.

Johnny Eriksson bygg at cafax.se
Mon Feb 17 18:18:49 EST 2014

"Johan" <jdmail at zeelandnet.nl> wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> As a beginner with TOPS-10, and TOPS 20 I have a question.
> If I connect over telnet to either one of them, and disconnect (so NOT using
> KJOB in TOPS-10) and reconnect, I have my session as I left it.
> When someone else connects, do they see the running session also or
> remembers the operating system the IP address ?
> If not then its insecure to connect it to the internet, what I want so my
> friend and I can play with it together.
> Or did I miss something ?

You are telnetting into SIMH, not into TOPS-x0.  Therefore TOPS does
not have any idea of your IP address for instance.

Anyway, the behaviour depends on if the terminal lines that SIMH
connects the incoming TCP connection to is configured as a modem
line or not.  I think that TOPS by default assumes directly connected
terminals and therefore ignores the loss of carrier that results from
closing the TCP connection.

If the terminal lines are configured with modem control, the job should
be detached.

> Simh is been setup with att dz -am 2020

Correct, but TOPS must know about this as well.

> Johan

--Johnny

  /\_/\
 ( *.* )