[Simh] Networking TOPS-20 using the pdp10 simulator

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Wed Feb 12 11:35:16 EST 2014

Hello,

After (finally!) networking TOPS-10 running on simh using the KDP/DUP siumlator I'm trying to do the same with TOPS-20. I have built a TOPS-20 system and I'm now trying to get DECNET (phase III) running on it. I have followed the instructions contained here: http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/dec/pdp10/TOPS20/DECnet-20/AA-5091B-TM_TOPS-20_DECnet-20_Programmers_Guide_Jan80.pdf and used this tape: http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/bits/DEC/pdp10/magtape/dec_distribs/decnet/DECNET-20_V2.1_2020_7-20-82.tap.gz but I can't put it to work (NETCON complains about being unable to get the network topology and FAL dies because an illegal instruction error). Since I seem to remember someone was succesfull networking TOPS-20 over simh, I'd like to know if I'm using the correct software kit, or if there is something not documented to do to put this to work.

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
HECnet: BITXOV::JGUILLAUMES