[Simh] VAX 780 emulation - How to install Netbsd

devin davison lyokoboy0 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 13:11:45 EST 2014

 Sorry for the delay in my response, I have been busy. I am kind of shocked
i got so many people to respond with so much informative information, I was
not expecting to get as much help as I have. Thanks to the config files
provided by calvin.miracle at louisville.edu and Mark Pizzolato. I set up a
dedicated server for running simh and using the config files and info
provided I managed to start an install of netbsd 6.1.5. It is quite slow,
but it seems to be working so far. I set the partition sizes too small the
first time around, so it ran out of space and threw a bunch of errors, and
I decided to restart the install. As of right now it looks to be about
halfway done, I can post back and let you all know if I get it going.
Again, thanks to everyone for the informative information. Ive been quite
obsessed with the older vax machines for quite some time now, but due to
them becoming more rare and the high cost of shipping i probally wont get
my hands on actual hardware any time soon, thankfully a machine emulated
with simh seems to be a good idea what to expect if I ever can get some
real hardware.
--Devin