[Simh] Physical PDP-11/70 front panel interface

E. Groenenberg quapla at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 16 08:40:50 EST 2014

Hello Pontus.

The version on Henks website is for SIMH V3.8 and the modified code is not
available on github.

Henk did make the connector bridge for me, as my 11/70 console uses the
Core-I/O board he (and Vince) made some time ago (there is a short
youtube clip of it available, google for 'pdp11 opcon').

About a year ago I did rewrite the additions to v3.8 and integrated it
in simh V4.0.0.

Main difference between the 2 implementations is the use the internal
queueing mechanism of simh to control the transmission of console data
via the dedicated serial line to the 'console processor'.
It has also some debug/tracing capabilities and such, similar like the
other devices have.
BTW, it uses a pseudo simh device called 'OC' (opcon).

The code is modified by using a compile time switch to include it into
the simh pdp11 executable.

Let me know if you want these modified files (based on github simh 4.0.0
from around 1 Nov 2014)

Regards,

Ed
> Hi
>
> I have a physical front panel from a PDP-11/70 (sadly the machine is
> long gone).
>
> But I've begun building an interface to control it from my PC. Much like
> Henk[1], Jörg[2] and John[3] has done before.
>
> Henk says he has a patched version of SIMH, before I contact him. Is
> there any such code in the SIMH repositories?
>
> Regards,
> Pontus.
>
> [1] http://www.pdp-11.nl/homebrew/cons1170/cons70startpage.html
> [2] http://retrocmp.com/projects/pdp-1170-panel
> [3] http://www.saccade.com/writing/projects/PDP11/PDP-11.html

Dit is een HTML vrije email / This is an HTML free email.
Zeg NEE tegen de 'slimme' meter.