[Simh] Feature request

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Sat Dec 6 19:16:55 EST 2014

On Friday, December 05, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
> On Friday, December 05, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Matt Burke wrote:
> > On 05/12/2014 22:41, Kevin Handy wrote:
> > > It would also be nice to be able to leave notes/reminders in the
> > > scripts telling what the script is about or what it is doing at a
> > > specific point.
> > >

> > The comment character is a semicolon in Simh scripts. I see what you mean
> > about the first line though.
>
> As Matt says, the traditional simh comment is the semicolon character.
>
> That said, the # character hasn't had any parsing significance at the beginning
> of a line in the simh command language, so accepting it as an additional
> comment character shouldn't hurt anything...
>
> This trivial feature has been added to the simh source at
> https://github.com/simh/simh

After a little more thought, I realize that although this (using '#!/usr/bin/vax' )
will work for basic legacy simh scripts, several of the new simh command features
won't work (i.e. GOTO, Conditional trapping via ON, SHIFT, etc.).  The issue here
is that when a simulator is invoked this way, commands are coming from stdin
and not a simh command file which does support these other commands.

On some platforms (some legacy BSD environments) there was a bug which
could leave a simulator spinning uselessly if the invoking script didn't execute
an exit command.  This is now fixed.

- Mark