[Simh] Recent bug fixes

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Sep 20 09:08:00 EDT 2013

On 2013-09-17 03:59, Bob Supnik wrote:
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 17:40:19 +0200
> From: Johnny Billquist<bqt at softjar.se>
> To:simh at trailing-edge.com
> Subject: Re: [Simh] Various PDP11 fixes and enhancements
>
> On 2013-09-06 17:13, Bob Supnik wrote:
>
>> 2. RS03/RS04 - third Massbus adapter with RS03/RS04 fixed head disk.
>> Only tested with RT11, as M+ and RSTS/E support requires a unique
>> SYSGENs. Feel free to hack on it.
>
> Is this something specific to a third massbus, or just a case of the
> RS03/RS04 devices as such? I mean, on M+ you can have all type of
> devices on the same massbus.

I see. So simh don't make any distinction between the RM and RP? The
registers have a couple of differences between these as well, but if I
remember right, they are only for error recovery, so they won't affect
normal operation.
But on an 11M system, I'm not sure you can even mix RM and RP on the
same massbus. (I might be wrong on that one, though. I need to check.)

>> 3. PDP11 CPU - MMR1 no longer tracks changes to the PC. The issue that
>> it should not track changes in floating point instructions is still open.
>
> I wasn't aware of any discussions. Could you, or someone sum it up? Is
> it a question of whether MMR1 should reflect changes to the general
> registers if a FP instruction is aborted? If so, I'm pretty sure they
> should be. I think I have read it somewhere in some documentation, and
> could try and locate it, if that really is the question.
>
> Also, MMR1 might reflect changes to the PC as well, as far as I can read
> documentation... But it's "complicated".
>
>      Johnny

Aha. So I was looking at the 11/70 processor handbook, which says that
MMR1 would track changes to the PC on at least that CPU. But since
change to the PC is not really important anyway I can see that either
way would work just as fine.

But I don't see the problem with an 8 byte change. MMR1 have 5 bits for
telling the changed value. This is a signed value, so it should range
from +15 to -16.
What am I missing???

	Johnny