[Simh] single cycle stepping for pdp11

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Thu Sep 5 02:12:06 EDT 2013

Simh doesn't expose any abstraction of the internal details at the level you are mentioning.  Emulation at that level for each processor and/or device was never a direct goal.  However, there certainly are some parallels to how the original hardware behaved internally which you are welcome to explore using a debugger on the simulator itself.  You can set breakpoints at the components which reference memory and/or within the code which implements the device interface which the operating system expects to see.

In theory, you could add code to the memory reference code path to update a blinken light display, but this would horribly impact simulator performance, and you still wouldn't have a stepping ability at the bus cycle level.

In theory, you could restructure the PDP11 simulator to execute bus cycles instead of instructions.  I think this would be a very significant amount of work, and would then still run much slower even if no blinken light display was being driven.

On the other hand, if you're not really trying to drive a blinken light display, you can get a lot of detailed information from the pdp11 simulator using the instruction history capability:
      sim> set cpu history=100
      sim> set bre <someaddr>
      sim> set bre 14302
      sim> b rq0

      Breakpoint, PC: 014302 (JMP 14064)
      sim> show cpu hist
     PC             PSW     src       dst        IR

     032142 030001|               000001  DEC R0
     032144 030005|032144 140010  MOV #0,R2
     032150 030001|024600 000001  MOV R5,R1
     032152 030001|032152 024600  ADD #0,R1
     032156 030000|000000 000040  CMP R0,R2
     032160 030011|                               BCS 32214
     032214 030011|               000040  ASR R2
     032216 030000|000000 000020  CMP R0,R2
     032220 030011|                               BCS 32234
     032234 030011|               000000  ASL R0
     [..etc..]

-          Mark