[Simh] Resurrecting the ARPAnet IMP

SPC spedraja at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 12:42:15 EST 2013

Marvelous. I asked and collected information about this matter (old ARPA
documents, messages to BBN, messages to some Arpanet creators and other
people involved in the project) but it was clear for me soon that it would
be very difficult to someone without a more close contact to the sources to
do this work.

My congratulations for this great addition to classic computing collection
of recovered systems and software. I only can add a desire to this: it
would be great to recover the diverse adaptors used to connect to ARPANET
from some real (and today emulated) systems (as IBM S/360 or 370, PDP ans
VAX, GRI, and so...) plus the corresponding ARPANET software or NCP
installed in everyone.

Regards
SPc.

2013/11/22 Bob Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com>

>    This summer a group of us worked together to resurrect the original
> ARPAnet IMP software, and I’m now happy to say that the IMP lives again in
> simulation.    It’s possible to run the original IMP software on a modified
> version of the H316 simh and to set up a virtual network of simulated IMPs
> talking to each other.   IMP to IMP connections, which would have
> originally been carried over leased telephone lines, are tunneled over IP.
> As far as we can tell, everything works pretty much as it did in the early
> 1970s.  IMPs are able to exchange routing information, console to console
> communications, network statistics, and they would carry host traffic if
> there were hosts on the network.  The hooks are in there to allow simh to
> support the IMP side of the 1822 host interface, and the next step would be
> to recover the OS for an ARPAnet era host and then extend the corresponding
> simulator to talk to the IMP simulation.
>

>   If you’d like to know more, you can read a detailed account of the whole
> adventure here –
>

> http://walden-family.com/bbn/imp-code.pdf
>

>   Everyone involved has agreed to release their work under the same terms
> as Bob Supnik’s original simh license, and I’m looking for suggestions as
> to how to handle that.  We could just ZIP everything up and host it on the
> website along with all the other BBN and ARPAnet documentation.  If the
> community considers the simh extensions for the BBN hardware to be of
> general interest then it could be submitted to the current simh
> repository.  Or it could go somewhere else - I am open to suggestions.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Bob Armstrong

Gracias | Regards

Saludos - Greetings - Freundliche Grüße - Salutations
--
*Sergio Pedraja*

twitter: @sergio_pedraja
skype: Sergio Pedraja
http://plus.google.com/u/0/101292256663392735405
http://www.linkedin.com/in/sergiopedraja
http://www.quora.com/Sergio-Pedraja
http://spedraja.wordpress.com
https://www.xing.com/profile/Sergio_Pedraja <http://spedraja.wordpress.com/>
http://www.viadeo.com
http://www.avalonred.com/
-----
No crea todo lo que ve, ni crea que está viéndolo todo