[Simh] Unable to telnet to other hosts

Christopher Myers thisisentchris87 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 10:54:37 EST 2013

Hey,

I think you're attaching the wrong Ethernet interface.

You've got it set to 'em1' when
http://www.wherry.com/gadgets/retrocomputing/vax-simh.html has it set to
'eth0.'  Not sure if this is what the problem is, just something I noticed.

Also, just a heads up. I've had a somewhat similar problem on VAXStation
3100 running OpenVMS 7.3.

I couldn't TELNET to hosts, but could ping them and the error I would get
is the same.

-TCPIP-E-NO_RECOVERY, unexpected name server failure

When I was trying to figure this out, I discovered that OpenVMS apparently
wants a name attached to that host. So you need to give 192.168.0.37 a text
name like "MYHOST" and then you'll be able to telnet with that name and
(oddly) the IP address.

What you need to do is go into the tcpip configuration program.

$ TCPIP

TCPIP> SET HOST MYHOST /ADDRESS=192.168.0.37

TCPIP> SHOW HOST

This is how I fixed my little problem on real equipment. I had a working
ping to a host, but no ability to TELNET.