[Simh] beta 4.0: my initial impressions.

dott.Piergiorgio d' Errico dott.piergiorgio at fastwebnet.it
Tue Nov 5 02:26:03 EST 2013

1) the implemented graphic display works, perhaps too well; spacewar
seems definitively *too* fast (both ships into singularity in less than
five seconds) but I don't known if is the expected behaviour on the
original.
PDP-11 Lunar, OTOH, even following the suggested SIMH setup, the (Linux
64b) host system crash (unresponsive, and I end doing one of my really
rare hard reset...) and the TX-0 mouse simulation seems to get confused
in the x,y coordinates.

1bis) What I like on improved output is (n)curses interface; I'm looking
into it (no holding breath, please: I have too many WIP than actual work
done...) and I'm really pleased of the updated developers' documentation

2) The SSEM emulation is the nearest thing to the "skeleton" I now have;
I remember that SIMH's strong point is the unique flexibility in
emulated hardware configuration. and the step ahead in turning the SIMH
shell into a programmable shell is more than good, even with the
implementation of an instruction considered harmful ;)

3) no improvement on LGP issue, sadly...

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.