[Simh] TOPS-20 Source with KMC11 Driver Code?

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Mon May 27 18:03:32 EDT 2013

On Monday, May 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Robert Jarratt wrote:
> Ah, I wondered if that is what you meant. Perhaps it would be a good idea to
> post something on GitHub (if there is a suitable place), to give newbies
> guidance on how to get set up. Any questions people ask could go in a FAQ,
> then you don't have to keep repeating yourself... :-)

Good point.  Let me think about how/where to keep this info.

> How are we going to manage Visual Studio Projects though? As you know, I
> use Visual Studio 2012 Express edition, so when I add files to the project, the
> project file will be in 2012 format, but the master is in an older format
> (2008 iirc). Won't we get into versioning conflicts?

Good question.  Project definition files change very rarely. I would suggest that you DON'T check-in your changed projects.  By default, the current repository is setup to not 'notice' new files (i.e. your .vcxproj files) in the Visual Studio Projects directory, so you really won't have to think much about this.  When visual studio 'auto-converts' the default (Visual Studio 2008) projects to ones appropriate for your Visual Studio version, it will change the simh.sln file with pointers to the new project files.  Git will notice this change since the simh.sln file is already managed under source control.  When you do a commit/check-in, do not check-in the simh.sln file.  As part of me pulling in your new code I'll find that it won't build cleanly in my test environment and I'll fix the base project files and ALSO go and update the makefile and descrip.mms to reflect the required corresponding changes.