[Simh] PDP-10 DECtapes

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Thu Mar 28 16:09:56 EDT 2013

I guess I'm not allowed a convenient memory lapse.

DOS-11 predates RSX & Files-11.  It has a MFD/UFD directory structure,
vaguely echoing TOPS-10.  I think that the 14-bye tape file header is
most of the directory entry from the on-disk DOS-11 structure.  This
caused some grief on tape, as the ANSI standard (and some
drives/drivers) require a minimum record length of 18 bytes; thus the
directory entries on MM could be skipped as 'noise records'.

The DECtape file structure for DOS-11 is documented in
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp11/dos-batch/DOS_CourseHandouts.pdf,
mostly in
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp11/dos-batch/DosBatchHandbook_v9_Apr74/02.pdf,
with other random bits in the other chapters.

It's not the same as RSX or RT.  Different design goals - and different
engineering groups :-)

DOS was serially multi-user.  So it had permissions, contiguous and
linked files.  RT single user; no permissions, contiguous only.  RSX got
Files-11 - the everything to everyone format - at the cost of ACPs,
complexity and memory.

I think - but I'd have to dissect a tape - that KLDCP used the DOS file
structure on -11 DECtape for simplicity, and the fact that there were
interchange programs (flx,etc) that could read/write them on the other
OSs.  It was the least common denominator file structure.

Of course, DTAs were so slow and expensive that you wanted to run from
disk instead, even when floppies replaced DECtape as the KL's front-end
device.

In any case, the simh problem appears to be a low-level format
emulation; my remarks on the file structure were only provided to assist
in identifying the data.

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.

On 28-Mar-13 15:19, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2013-03-28 19:23, Timothe Litt wrote:
>> Good information, but this thread is about DECtape, not 9-Track
>> magtapes...
>
> Right.
>
>> The format looks about right for 9-track DOS-11 magtapes; I remember
>> writing code to extract files from them on the -10.
>>
>> It's not right (or at least, not complete) for the block-addressable
>> DECtapes.
>
> DECtapes (atleast on RSX) are Files-11 ODS-1 volumes, and not ANSI
> labelled tapes. They have nothing in common with each other, apart
> from both being tapes. The closest relative to a DECtape is a floppy.
>
> Also, the DOS-11 tape format is not the same as ANSI labelled tapes.
> They are not compatible.
>
> In RSX, ANSI labelled tapes are accessed through MTAACP, and the tapes
> are mounted as a known format. You then access them with the normal
> tools you'd use for any normal work in RSX. (Such as PIP.)
> DOS-11 tapes are instead mounted foreign, and you need FLX to
> read/write to them.
>
>     Johnny
>
>> I don't think DOS-11 would have been documented in any of the references
>> cited.
>>
>> There's now a SIMH repo on github; your utility could go into the tools
>> section.
>>
>> This communication may not represent my employer's views,
>> if any, on the matters discussed.
>>
>> On 28-Mar-13 14:09, Larry Baker wrote:
>>> On 28 Mar 2013, at 5:24 AM, <simh-request at trailing-edge.com
>>> <mailto:simh-request at trailing-edge.com>>
>>> <simh-request at trailing-edge.com

>>> RSX/VMS Files-11 tapes are ANSI labeled tapes.  I know OpenVMS also
>>> used HDR3/4 labels for RMS information.  There was a MOUNT option to
>>> suppress writing those labels.
>>>
>>> I wrote an RSX/VMS  program that will scan an unknown tape and decode
>>> it for you.  (If anyone wants it, let me know where I should upload
>>> it.)  The DOS format decoder looks for a 14 byte (physical) record at
>>> the start of the file.  It is decoded by the following code:

>>> C...  DEC DOS labels